How a "modest" door-knocker could raise £500,000 for HPWRT

The HPWRT YouTube videos builds my confidence in HPWRT as an organisation I'm willing to raise £500k for through doing a year's door-knocking, supported by a booklet of the same quality as that which karuna.org use. How come £500k; that's the five-yearly income based on people signing up for £10/month and I reckon I could get 5-6 sign-ups per night going out to about 3000-5000 selected Sussex houses over 200 days between October 2011 & October 2012.
UPDATE TO THIS BLOG POST:
PLEASE NOTE THAT I WROTE 'SUSSEX HOUSES'; many of the standing-orders will be signed by people outside Hastings & St Leonards, I reckon.
Nonetheless I have received the following feedback:
Paul, I've just read your blogspot on fundraising...
 
The HPWRT YouTube videos builds my confidence in HPWRT as an organisation I'm willing to raise £500k for through doing a year's door-knocking, supported by a booklet of the same quality as that which karuna.org use. How come £500k; that's the five-yearly income based on people signing up for £10/month and I reckon I could get 5-6 sign-ups per night going out to about 3000-5000 selected Sussex houses over 200 days between October 2011 & October 2012.
....please remember that Hastings/St Leonards is the poor end of East Sussex; 40% of E.Sussex's unemployed are resident here. In fact Hollington (north-end of St Leonards), is apparently the 6th poorest ward in the country, Social services have relocated long-termed unemployed from the London Boroughs (because of cheap housing) down here over the last 20-30 years.
 
What I am trying to say is that you are unlikely to get people to donate to the extent  that you are suggesting above, particularly in such an area of economic disadvantage, and that's to say nothing of the economic climate generally at the moment and the forecast for the medium-term.  If it was Brighton, a well-heeled town, it might be different.  I'm only saying this as I don't want you to waste your time and energies - they might better be directed elsewhere - sorry to sound like a killjoy.

2 comments:

Tim Denning said...

Any chance of a link to the booklet you mention?

Paul Crosland said...

I will leave (at Arthur Greens, 34 White Rock) copies of the high quality fundraising brochure produced by www.Karuna.org; I'll also leave standing order forms of the type that in my main employment people fill in on my return to their door, having been so impressed by the booklet.
Please note that these booklets are produced for an amazingly cheap 38p each. And if you have a perspective which includes wanting to make a difference in relation to individuals experiencing the discrimation of the caste system in India, please bring some opportunity to women and children there through making a regular contribution.